• Immigration procedures do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Order.
  • The procedures for obtaining a permit to practice speech-language pathology or audiology are separate from those for obtaining a work visa or immigration permit.
  • For information regarding immigration procedures and visas, please consult the proper authorities, in particular:

Immigration - Québec

Immigration and Citizenship Canada

See also: Immigrant Québec


Do I need a student immigration status to take online courses required by the OOAQ?

The OOAQ makes courses available to all applicants, regardless of their immigration status.

Do I need a student immigration status to take university courses required by the OOAQ?

You must contact the proper immigration authorities.

Do I need a specific immigration status to participate in internships in Quebec if required by the OOAQ?

You must verify with the proper immigration authorities to ensure that you meet the requirements.

As a speech-language pathologist practicing in France, if I obtain a WHP (Working Holiday Permit), will I be able to work in Quebec?

You must contact the proper immigration authorities. The Order is the sole authority with the power to grant permission to practice speech-language pathology (which we refer to as issuing a “permit”, but this has nothing to do with a government-issued work permit).

How long does it take to process an application for equivalence?

All applications must first be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Members of this committee issue recommendations to the Board of Directors, which makes the final decision. Since applications are reviewed by two different authorities, you must allow at least six weeks for your application to be processed.

I hold a work permit issued by the Canadian Embassy. Can you verify whether my work permit is suitable for application to the OOAQ?

No work permit is required to submit an application for equivalence or a professional permit issued by the OOAQ.

What is a comparative evaluation for studies done outside Quebec?

The comparative evaluation is a document indicating, in a general way, which Quebec academic milestones (or principal diplomas) and areas of training are comparable to studies done outside Quebec. The comparative evaluation is an expert opinion issued for reference purposes. It differs from a diploma or diploma equivalence. It is a tool for professional integration to assist regulatory bodies and employers with their admission and hiring processes. The comparative evaluation does not impose any obligation on an employer, professional order or any other regulatory organization.

Is there a free integration assistance service for immigrants that can guide me in the recognition of my skills?

Accompagnement Québec enables immigrants to receive advice from an integration assistance agent for all useful and necessary information for the integration in Quebec, whether it is for settling in, employment, learning French or to know about the living culture in Quebec. An entire section of this service is dedicated to Skills Recognition.

Are the professions of speech-language pathologist and audiologist eligible for the Financial assistance program for skills recognition?

Yes, since August 8, 2022, the professions of speech-language pathologist and audiologist are eligible for the Financial assistance program for skills recognition. This program allows you to receive allowances for continuing education that will allow you to obtain recognition of your skills. To find out about the eligibility conditions, the financial assistance available and to obtain all relevant information concerning this program from the ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration, consult the PAFFARC website.

Are the professions of speech-language pathologists and audiologist eligible for the Regular Skilled Worker Program?

To obtain information on the different steps of the Regular Skilled Worker Program (RSWP) intended for individuals who wish to immigrate to Quebec as skilled workers, whether from within Quebec or abroad, consult this link.


In addition to their more common roles as clinicians or counsellors for children, speech-language pathologists work with people of all ages, from newborns to seniors. 

Read more about it


Audiologists can work with people of all ages, from newborns to seniors. They may be involved in promotion, prevention, assessment, or rehabilitation related to hearing or vestibular disorders. 

Read more about it